Ground beef with some sautéed vegetables and given broth produces a delicacy full of flavor, a savory layer of mashed potatoes makes for an amazing blend. this is shepherd’s pie recipe ground beef paprika, you can make it in just a few minutes. This dish is usually served for dinner.
I often make it, if you like spicy you can add a lot of peppers. I made it with 3 layers, namely the base of the casserole baking sheet containing half the mashed potatoes, then in the middle layer filled with stir-fry beef milling and vegetables that have an extra flavor, the last layer is coated again with the rest of the mashed potatoes. When baked it will produce an interesting color that makes it tempted to eat it.
What is shepherd’s pie?
Pie is a dish made from pastry dough that is used outside, then filled with various types of ingredients and contents, then cooked by baking.
Shepherd’s pie, often referred to as cottage pie or Harcis Parmentier is a pie whose contents use red meat. The meat will be cooked in gravy sauce and onions, then coated with pastry or potatoes.
Originally, this delicious dish was made using mutton with mashed potatoes. In addition to filling, this pie is very famous in Europe although there are other types of pies especially those that taste sweet.
The reason was given the name Shepherd’s Pie because of the use of mutton taken from the shepherd’s words.
Why does the base layer of shepherd’s pie use potatoes?
To make a pie containing vegetables it is best to use the base layer of potatoes since it is easier to make and more suitable to produce a perfect delicacy.
In addition to delicious potatoes also have vitamin b6 content that plays a role in the formation of blood cells, maintains nervous health, helps the production of antibodies or immune substances, and supports the digestion of proteins.
But as an alternative you can replace the layer by making a dough made from wheat flour, it will have a crunchier texture.
How to choose good quality potatoes
In this recipe there are two options, you can make mashed potatoes by yourself so that the quality is more guaranteed, but if you want faster you can use packaged mashed potatoes that have guaranteed taste and nutritional value. Below are some ways to choose potatoes of good quality.
Pay attention to the surface of the potatoes. The surface should be smooth and undulating, this will make it easier for you to peel potatoes. Also, fine-skinned potatoes have a sweeter taste compared to rough-skinned ones.
Choose potatoes that taste heavy, look fresh, there are no holes in the surface, no cracks, no rot on some sides, and no cracks in the skin.
Avoid choosing potatoes that have a green color. These potatoes are usually more bitter because they are already exposed to a lot of sunlight or harvested too young.
Avoid choosing sprouted potatoes.
As much as possible do not choose potatoes whose skin has started to wrinkle.
How to taste shepherd’s pie recipe ground beef corn
Shepherd’s pie recipe ground beef is a favorite dish of America, in this recipe I use stir-fry grilling meat, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, with two layers of mashed potatoes at the base and on a casserole baking sheet.
The flavor in the corn itself is a little sweet, and when combined with the stir-fry of ground meat will produce a very delicious taste. I use frozen sweet shelled corn, before cooking it you can silence it first, as well as other vegetables.
For other pie dishes, you can try Easy Mashed Stuffed Butternut Squash Pie Recipes, a fresh butternut Squash with a sweet flavor combined with a crispy crust pie resulting in a tender and delicious meal. a type of food whose processing method requires free time and is suitable for processing while on vacation.
How to make shepherd’s pie recipe ground beef potatoes
It has been discussed at the top that potatoes become a layer on this recipe. For good coating results you can process it in the following ways:
- Russet potatoes have a slightly sweeter taste compared to other types of potatoes in general.
- Make sure when washing and soaking russet potatoes do not change color browned because of the enzymatic browning that is a condition that can change the taste and quality of potatoes.
- First, wash the russet potatoes so that the soil on the carried skin is gone and clean. Second, peel the skin of russet potatoes to be boiled.
- Then, prepare 500 ml of boiling water in a pot of stew and put russet potatoes in it, waiting until the meat on the potatoes softens enough. Boiled russet potatoes are ready to be served.
You can combine Shepherd’s pie recipe ground beef and cheese
For modern variations, you can add grated cheddar cheese to the ground beef stir-fry and sprinkle it over the mashed potatoes on the top layer. When grilled cheese will melt and become a comfortable snack in your mouth.
Cheddar cheese is the most widely sold type of cheese on the market. This cheese has a slightly harder texture and pale yellow color, so it tends to be white like ivory.
The best ingredients used for shepherd’s pie
For the meat seasoning:
- Ground meat
- Brown beef gravy
- Salt and pepper
- Hot red pepper
For the seasoning of mashed potatoes:
- Large russet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Shelled corn
- Cold butter
The tool used to make shepherd’s pie is a casserole baking sheet measuring 9×9, Casserole pan is used as a cooking tool that can also be used to serve food at the dinner table. In addition to being used for cooking in the oven, this pot can be used on the stove.
How to make shepherd’s pie easily
- First, we start by preheating the oven until it reaches a temperature of 400 degrees.
Prepare a 9×9 casserole baking sheet and clean it with a non-stick cooking spray or grease with a little oil.
- Put the mashed potatoes, parsley, thyme, and oregano in a bowl. After that season with salt and pepper, stir until well mixed.
- Start sautéing onions, adding ground meat, salt, pepper, paprika, and hot red pepper.
Add the gravy to stir until thickened.
- After that add the peas, carrots, and shelled corn. Stir then turn off the stove.
- Start filling the casserole baking sheet by filling the bottom layer with half the mashed potatoes, stir-fry the ground meat and vegetables in the second layer, and put the remaining ground potatoes on the last layer.
- Sprinkle top with the diced butter.
- Put a casserole baking sheet in the oven and start baking it for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are browned.